Friday, May 16, 2014

After the pillow concert at Timpview
So I know that this is a blog about dance and being a dance mom, however, I really want to post about Chandler's Jazz band Pillow Concert at Timpview.  I think that there are a lot of similarities to having a child involved in music or sports or other activities that include competition, practice, other parents, and teachers.  Chandler had to audition for a lot of the pieces he played in throughout his high school career.  He had to audition for marching band, fall band, jazz band, pep band, a cappella choir, and symphonic band.  In some cases he had to audition to play in specific pieces.  Sometimes he would get into the piece he wanted and sometimes he wouldn't.  Chandler has learned a lot of the same lessons from music that my girls have from dance.  He has had to learn to work with different personalities, learn many different instruments, work with different teachers, practice practice practice, and compete at different events.  There were just as many ups and downs with his music as there were with my girls and their dancing.  That being said I learned a little something myself the other night.
                    I have to say the biggest surprise to me at the Pillow Concert was just how much Chandler has grown musically over the years.  I knew he was talented and could play several different instruments that he pretty much taught himself to play.  I would hear occasional practicing up in his room, usually late at night when we are all trying to sleep, but I would rarely get to hear everything he practices all put together.  When I would ask him to play me songs he would just grumble at me like "really mom?"  It brought tears to my eyes to see him show everything he has learned and how mature his playing has become.  I remember the squeaky clarinet he played in elementary, the choppy guitar plucking during his lessons, and how nervous he would get before playing.  At the concert a mature young man performed with confidence, professionalism, and pure enjoyment with every song.  Now he still has a lot of growing up to do but I saw the progress and I could see a little of what's to come in the future and I am loving it. So I just had to brag a little bit in his behalf because I am truly proud of him and all he has accomplished.  As a mom I wonder if what I am teaching my kids is getting through and if they will ever be able to take care of themselves.  Sometimes they do things that make me think I have really messed this all up and then moments like this concert happen and I see a glimpse of the child becoming an adult.  I saw him take control of situations, perform without problems, and relate to others around him a way that would make any mother proud.   
                       I have attached 3 of the videos below.  Please take a minute to watch because I promise you will enjoy.  You can click on the links below and it should bring up an option to play in youtube.
                       I would like to take a moment to pay credit to the amazing teachers he has had, Dr. Fullmer, Mr. Herald and Brady Bills, and Mr. Larsen.  Chandler was also surrounded by many other amazingly talented students and friends that motivated him to improve and be the best he could be.  Thank you to all who helped him along the way and to his awesome friends that motivated him through their talents and friendships.


No comments:

Post a Comment