Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Let's try something different this time.........



Is the hand pushing her down or is it coming in to pick her up? What's your perspective?

            I think it would be interesting to get some feed back from other dance moms/dads on some questions.  I think that it is always nice to hear another perspective.  I was chatting with another dance mom and we had a great conversation about perspective.  One of the points I have been hoping to get across to everyone reading this blog is that life is all about perspective.  I am willing to bet that if you take a room full of people, have several different dances perform, different class workshops going on, and then ask people what they saw and what they thought about how things went, you will get many different perspectives.  Everyone may even agree that things went well or not so well, but when it comes to details, there would be all sorts of different opinions and thoughts.  We all know when we are at competitions that as moms we hang out at a restaurant and chat about what we just saw and generally there is someone who notices something that happened at whatever we were just watching that no one else noticed.  We all walk away with different emotions and different thoughts and whatever the thoughts and feelings may be they are yours.  Our perspective is just that, OUR perspective. There  are emotions that come with our perspective.  If we can remember that everyone has a different perspective and that their emotions come with it, we can learn from all of these perspectives by staying open minded and willing to listen.  I am going to post a few questions and I hope that I can get some feed back from all of you so that I can learn and grow.  This is not intended to be a forum to argue with one another but a place to share your opinion and thoughts and leave it at that.  Please do not post negative responses to others' comments.  If you don't agree, simply leave it alone.  If you want to say thank you to someone for their thoughts, feel free to leave a kind and simple response to their comment.  Thank you and I hope this goes well.  If anyone has a child in any other competitive arena feel free to apply these questions to your situations as well.
          I think you all have something valuable to say and even if you only answer one of the questions I want to hear what you have to say.  I love what everyone has to say about life and dance.

Here are the questions............

1.  If you had it to do all over again, would you?  And why or why not?  (I mean the whole competitive dance world)

2.  What was the most important thing you learned at the last competition?

3.  Do you think it is okay to give your dancer corrections or should that only be left to the teacher?

4.  To be competitive do you think that adding private lessons for ballet, technique, etc, is helpful in increasing your dancers' ability or is it just as okay to let your dancer grow at a natural pace?

5.  What is your funniest dance mom moment?

6.  Has your dancer ever said something to you that taught you a valuable lesson? (An aha moment) What was it he/she said?


I can't wait to read everyones answers!!!!!!!!! Remember we are all in this together.


2 comments:

  1. I think that the corrections are best left to the teacher. It's hard to find the balance between being competitive and letting your kid have time to be a kid. Last competition I was running around like a lunatic trying to give my kid a prop that she didn't even need for that dance and I just had to laugh at how overloaded I was.

    ReplyDelete